Walton County FL Beach Permits FAQs
Helpful Permit Links for Permanent and Seasonal Residents
Walton County has some of the most beautiful beaches in the State. Preserving their natural beauty and protecting turtles and other endangered species who we share the beaches with means setting boundaries for use. Dog walking, bonfires, driving on the beach and special events all require permits for seasonal or temporary use. Here is a guideline of what is required and links to where you can obtain the applicable permits.
1. Where can I apply for a Beach Permit in South Walton County?
Apply for permits related to Beach Driving, Charter Fishing, Disability and Dogs on the Beach at the Walton County Florida website.
2. How much are beach permits in Walton County?
|Charter Fishing: Vehicle||$210.00|
|Charter Fishing: Trailer||$40.00|
3. How do I obtain a Beach Driving Permit in South Walton County?
Beach driving permit lotter application process will begin on June 1 and will end on July 10. A random lottery selection of 150 applicants will be held on July 15. Apply for your Beach Driving permits from the Walton County Clerk of Courts. Vehicles are only allowed in specific areas. No vehicles are allowed on beaches in Destin or Okaloosa County.
4. What is the cost of a Beach Driving Permit?
Permit Fees were effective January 22, 2013 and still in effect at the time of this writing.
- $135.00 - For 4-wheel drive vehicles to drive on the limited access areas of the beach only.
- $40.00 - for a trailer decal for launching a boat. To be placed on the tongue of the trailer. NOTE: This Boat Launch Permit does not include personal watercraft.
5. How do I obtain a Disability Parking Permit in South Walton County?
Residents with disabilities, upon proof of disability (Florida Disability Parking Placard, SSI Disability letter, etc.) may apply here.
6. What is the cost of a Disability Parking Permit?
$10.00 per year for vehicle / $40.00 per year for trailer. Permits must be renewed by June 1 of each year.
7. Can I take my dog on the beach in Walton County?
You require a Dog on Beach permit to do so. All Dog on Beach permits are valid on August 1 and expire July 31, regardless of the purchase date with a grace period until August 15. Permitted dogs will be allowed on County beaches between the times of 3:30pm and 8:30am 365 days a year.
Dogs are NOT ALLOWED on the beaches in Destin/Okaloosa County, but there is a dog-friendly park at 4100 Indian Bayou Trail.
8. How much does a dog beach permit cost?
The cost is $40.00 - for a dog tag to allow dogs on a leash to traverse the beach for certain limited hours of the day - and can be purchased from the Walton County Clerk of Courts - Dog Permits.
9. Can you have a Bonfire on the beach in Destin FL or Walton County?
Bonfires are NOT ALLOWED on Destin or Okaloosa County Beaches. You are allowed to have a beach bonfire in Walton County as long as your purchase a permit and follow specific guidelines. This $50 permit allows you to have a bonfire on the beach for one night.
You can submit an application to the South Walton Fire District for a bonfire permit.
10. Do I need a permit to launch my charter fishing boat in Walton County?
Yes, you require a Charter Beach Permit. Application is done through the Charter Lottery unless you have an existing permit. In that case, it needs to be renewed in June of every year. Get your Charter Beach Permit here.
11. What does the Charter Beach Permit cost?
The fee for a charter vehicle is $210.00 and charter trailer is $40.00.
12. Can you have a wedding or event on the beach in Walton County?
Beach Permit for Outdoor Events: Includes any type of beach vendor, jet ski rentals, para-sail vending or temporary beach driving. Outdoor Event Application
13. Can you hold a wedding or beach event in Destin FL (Okaloosa County)?
Yes, but there are only certain parks that allow events in Destin and Okaloosa County. Permit fees are based on attendance.
Small Gathering - 20-49 People - Permit Fee: $50.00
All groups of 20 or more wishing to hold an event of any nature on city-owned property are required to secure a Park Event Permit through the Destin Parks & Recreation Department. For more information about City of Destin event permits, please call the City of Destin Parks & Recreation Department at (850) 837-4242 or Download a Park Permit Application here. Only certain parks are available for event permits and beach access points are not available.
Large Gathering - 50+ People - Permit Fee based on attendance
Any gathering of 50 or more people being held in public or on private property requires an Event Permit. For more information about Okaloosa County event permits, please call the Okaloosa County Public Works Department at (850) 689-5772. Permit fees are based on the number of people attending.
Contact Tim Shepard, or (850) 325-0004 for more information about beach permits or local ordinances in Walton and Okaloosa Counties. If he doesn't have an immediate answer, he can definitely direct you to the proper contact.