Okaloosa County Updates
The Destin City Council recently established the budget for 2016-17 which includes a 7.6% increase in property taxes.
The new millage rate will be 1.615. Here are some of the areas the extra money will be used:
- Stormwater and sidewalk repairs
- A marine unit with a personal watercraft for the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office
- Increased law enforcement coverage for spring break
Other decisions that resulted from the latest council meeting:
- A temporary tree-cutting ban
- With the 30-year contract with Gulf Power coming to an end, the council has decided to take proposals to do a feasibility analysis for purchasing the city's electrical utility. I wonder how many thousands of dollars they'll spend before they find out this is a bad idea.
Walton County Updates
1000 Friends of Florida announced a new settlement regarding development around the coastal dune lakes. Under the new changes, 40% of a lake lot can be developed (formerly 25%). The big change is the phasing out of septic systems. Any new developments will have to connect to central sewer, and when an existing home requires a new system, it must be connected to central sewer as well.
Tim Shepard, Broker/Owner
Destin Real Estate, LLC
Cell: (850) 259-4133
Toll Free: (866) 678-SOLD
We'd love to hear what you thought of our service, please don't hesitate to send us your comments.